Saturday, August 30, 2014

Take a Time Out

Exhaustion has kicked in. Thank goodness for a 4 day weekend. I forget how tired I am the first week of school.  I do it to myself every year! It's too hot for coffee and I'm so busy during the day that I forget to drink enough water.  I have been in bed by 9pm every night because I just can't keep my eyes open. 

My doctor keeps telling me to get plenty of rest, drink water, eat healthier, get more exercise and put myself into my calendar.  I dread going to see her because I know she's right but I just don't have enough time in the day. This school year I am really hoping to take time to focus and take care of myself early on before I get too overwhelmed and burn out.  Like many stressful jobs, teachers need to have a form of release at the end of each day or each week. If you don't have something that takes your mind off the data, the behaviors or the endless lesson planning, you will reach a breaking point.

I have 2 very energetic girls at home who don't give be a break when I get home. So if you are like me you need to get creative with your time.  I luckily have a very supportive husband who realizes when I've hit a wall as teacher, mommy and wife.  He makes me take a time out.  Let me tell you my time outs are not long, sometimes an hour minimum.  Taking even an hour makes all the difference.  It allows me to recharge, clear my head and breathe.

So what do I do during my time outs?  Nothing too crazy, here's a peek at some things I like to do for myself.  


  • sleep in- on Saturday mornings we switch off on taking our early birds downstairs so the other can catch a few more zzzs
  • take a walk- a 30 minute walk around the block is sometimes enough to clear the fuzz in my head
  • monthly massage- this is always a great plan but many times it's just a few times a year
  • girl's night in- as a working mom who's husband works non-traditional hours, it is much easier for me to have a few friends over than it is to actually go out and try to find a sitter. Movies, book clubs, or just chit chat can go a long way after a busy week.  I actually found an art teacher who brings paint night right to your house! I can't wait to see how it goes!
  • keep a journal- writing is a great release for me.  It helps me put things into perspective.  I also jot down notes and use post-its alot.
  • read- I tend to save all my reading for the summer when I actually have time, but this year I'm going to make sure I carry a book in my purse everyday.  When it's done I'll start a new one.  My goal is 4 before June.
 Another thing I'm hoping to do this school year is LEARN TO SAY NO.  I have a tendency to overload my calendar and not leave any time for me.  So I'm going to finally take my doctor's advice and put myself into that calendar each day. I don't know how but I'm determined to figure it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment