Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Day Jitters

 
This is one of my all time favorite back to school stories.  When I taught 4th grade I used this as a first day read aloud.  It really can be used with any grade level.  For those of you who have never read Julie Danneberg's First Day Jitters (spoiler alert).  This story is about Sarah Jane who is nervous as she gets ready to start a new school. She doesn't want to go but is encouraged by Mr. Hartwell.  She goes and befriends Mrs. Burton, who helps her with the transition. There is an unexpected ending to the story as the readers discover the Sarah Jane is actually a teacher who is going to teach at a new school for the first time. 

When I think back my very first year teaching I remember all too well those first day jitters. The unknown was so scary.  Thirteen years later and I still get those butterflies in my belly and wonder what the year has in store for me.  It's not uncommon for teachers to get nervous before school starts.  My first grade students get a kick out of hearing this story and can't believe that teacher's get the jitters too!

Here are a few first day jitter tips for teachers as they start the new school year: 
  • go to bed early- rest up you'll need it for the next 180 days 
  • get to work early- you don't want to feel rushed.  Settle in and prepare your space and mind for the first day
  • take a break- eat your lunch, use the bathroom, get your thoughts together
  • talk to your buddies- check in at the end of the day see how things went.  Remember you aren't alone.
  • Breathe- only 179 more days to go
  • get to bed early- you will be exhausted

Welcome Back! Have a great 2014/2015 school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment