Thursday, July 23, 2015

Stitch Fix #1 Review

As I mentioned in my last post there are BIG Changes ahead!  I have ventured out into the world of fashion.  Yes I'm going from frumpy to fabulous.  Well that's the plan anyway.  I'm beginning to flirt with forty...she's not that far away you know.

Today I received my first box from Stitch Fix.  It's the new thing in fashion! I have some younger friends who suggested I give it a shot.  So after some research I decided Why Not?!  

What's it all about? 

Haven't heard of this amazing service, let me fill you in.  Stitch Fix is a personal styling service tailored to your taste, size, style and budget.  To get started you set up an account, you can use my referral link if you wish.  You will be charged $20- that’s your styling fee, which can be used as a credit towards your final order. While there’s no obligation to keep anything in your box, you’re basically out the $20 if you don’t. If you do decide to keep any piece, you get to subtract $20 from your total at checkout. If you decide to keep everything you get 25% off the entire purchase, it's about a $100 savings (plus your $20 off).  My first box was worth about $300.  I know YIKES, especially on a teacher's salary, but keep reading.  Keep what you want, send back what you don't (postage paid).  Not a bad deal if you ask me.

During the set up process you fill out a Style Profile.  This is KEY, be honest.  Your personal stylist will use this when picking out your pieces.  You can also help your stylist by setting up a Pinterest board with a variety of outfits, pieces and accessories that you like or would like to try. You can check mine out here or go searching, it's very addicting!  You will be sent a box with 5 pieces to pick from.  

Get on with it already!

Now that you know what to expect, check out what I received in my first box.  Here's a peek at the packaging.  I read somewhere that it's like Christmas morning, well for this momma, who never shops for herself, it sure was! 



Inside this adorable package was a personalized note from my stylist Kelly along with visuals of how to pair my pieces.  No guess work needed.  

 

What's in the box?

Now for the fun part...

Item # 1- Jace Textured Dress by 41Hawthorn ($68)



First thoughts- Adorable BUT will it fit?! I really wanted this to be a winner.  It was a perfect first day of school dress.

Final decision- I didn't love the color maybe something brighter. I got half way up my back when I hit the middle seam (whatever that white piece is called).  After trying several times to finish zipping it up myself, I enlisted my 6 year old who had no luck, I decided it wouldn't be something I could wear all the time. Hence not a keeper.  

Item # 2- Just Black Dean Skinny Jean ($78)

First thoughts- 78 bucks for skinny jeans!

Final decision-They fit PERFECTLY, I mean like a glove.  They have ankle zippers which I didn't love but was ok with.  I just couldn't get over $78 for jeans.  I tossed this one around because I really liked them. In the end not a keeper.

Item # 3- Papermoon Croydon Knit Top ($38)

First thoughts- YIKES stripes!

Final decision-Ya know I really liked this top once I put it on.  I can get so much use out of it.  Work, weekend, evening out, the possibilities really are endless.  Definitely a keeper.


Item # 4- Le Lis Maude Floral Dress ($78)
 

First thoughts- Love the black and white pattern, but a bit too "fancy" for the first day of first grade.

Final decision-I really liked everything about this dress.  Perfect fit and perfect length.  Although not what I was hoping for the first day of school and pricier than my usual spending, it was definitely a keeper to wear to my brother's wedding this fall.

Item # 5- Bay to Baubles Beldan CZ Long Necklace ($38)


First thoughts- I don't wear much any jewelry (except my wedding rings) but I was excited to try it on.

Final decision- Sent back.  It was too tangled to even attempt to try on and that in itself made my decision for me.

*I had made a note to my stylist in my profile that I was looking for a "back to school" dress.  Hence the 2 dresses. 

 

Loved It

What I loved about Stitch Fix was the convenience of having 5 fashionable pieces delivered right to my doorstep with NO obligation to buy.  Well in essence I had to buy something or I was out $20, but still.  I kept a dress and a shirt for under $100.  I also loved that I was able to try on some different pieces that I'd otherwise never get the chance to. The surprise factor is also a bonus! I love that you can specify upcoming events and specific needs on your profile.  This really made it personal for me. 


Hated It

As a frugal mommy and teacher, I just can't justify $78 for a piece of clothing.  The cost is high but the quality can sometimes outweigh the cost...or so I keep telling myself.

I am currently on a monthly fix but it can be easily changed to accommodate my wallet and need.   I am going to try it again next month and see how my stylist (hopefully Kelly) does next time around.  

*Thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not asked to do or "sell" anything by Stitch Fix.  Just providing my views.

To check out my other reviews visit the links below:

July 2015- Fix #1

August 2015- Fix #2

September 2015- Fix #3

October 2015- Fix #4

January 2016- Fix #5

No comments:

Post a Comment