Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Meal Planning

I've gotten some questions since my last post on how I meal plan.  I'll be the first to say it's not a pretty process.  In fact it takes up most of my Sunday.  Having said that, it's ALL done on Sunday and there's nothing left to do during the week except pack it all.

Getting Started 
I do all my grocery shopping on Saturday, the day before prepping day.  I make a menu for myself for the week using my meal chart. Above is a sample of what a week looks like at the beginning of my 21 day fix.  I then take inventory of what I already have on hand, making a list of what needs to be purchased.

On Sunday I get busy.  I prepare breakfast to-go bags for the girls as I have a shake.  I prepare just my lunches and do theirs each night as I pack mine.  I wash all fruits and veggies, slicing and bagging them.  I then cook the eggs (hard boiled) and bag those.  I drain the tuna, cook the proteins (meat, chicken, fish) and pasta and place them in individual containers for lunches.  I place the wraps in a bag and olives, dressing and almond butter in containers.  Hummus and cheese sticks come per-portioned so I just place them in a clear container in the fridge.  Once everything has been prepared and stored in the fridge, I use my evenings to pack my lunchbox.  I mentioned that I have a mini-fridge at work.  This allows me to take just about everything into work on Monday.  This is a time saver for me!  I take a screen shot of my weekly menu and put together my lunches right at work.  

Tip: I love taking my salads to work in mason jars because the seal is so tight it keeps everything fresh through Friday.  Dressing on the bottom, veggies, egg, cheese and protein in the middle and top with the greens. 




What about Dinner?
I'm all about convenience.  I love my slow cooker(s) and make almost everything in them.  All our proteins (meat and chicken)  cook while I'm at work.  If we're having sweet potatoes, I toss them in my slow cooker as well.  
When I get home I just toss a salad with my pre-cut veggies, quickly steam some veggies, or rice.  



Along with my weekly prep day I also go on a monthly freezer binge.  I prepare 10-15 freezer meals every month.  These are used on the days that I don't cook with the slow cooker or my husband is home and takes care of popping them in the oven.     

Hopefully this gave you a better idea of how I meal plan.  It really is key to keeping me focused and avoiding cheating or slacking off. NO EXCUSES.  If I can do it any one can do it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment